Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Apps I Love

So along with trying to be an athlete, I am also a tech geek. I love technology and gadgets and all of that fun stuff. I am also a big Apple fan, and so if you combine all of those things you get this blog post. Here are all the apps I use with my iPhone or iPad for training, inspiration, health, and blogging.

Nike+ running - Price: Free

This is my personal favorite running app. I feel it does a very adequate job of GPS tracking while running (although dpending on the signal it can have problems). I love the visual appeal of the app and another cool feature is being able to track how many miles you have put on your shoes. All around great app.

 

Strava - Price: Free

Along with Nike+ being my go to running app, Strava is my go to biking app. There are some other choices out there, such as Map My Ride which I have used before, but I like the stats that Strava has and the layout. It works fantastic with road rides and GPS, calculating speed and pace along with elevation and everything you need.

 

Blogsy - Price: $4.99

This is by far the best blogging app I have come accross. It is very simple and integrates with most blogsites. Typing (with the Brydge of course) is a breeze and does a very good job of keeping everything easy for you to post. Pulling pictures from your camera roll, photo stream, facebook instagram or even youtube and vimeo videos are as easy as drag and drop. Another added feature is that you can turn any creation into a HTML email to send to people.

 

USA Triathlon Magazine Price: Free

This app is great even if you are not a USAT member. Basically you download the app, enter your email adress and then you are able to download the last 12 editions of their magazine for free. It's not the best triathlon/athletic magazine, but its free and its not half bad.

 

Bike Repair HD - Price: $3.99

This is a great app for those who are new to their own bike repair and maintenance. It gives you step by step guides to fix many bike problems and fixes along with general maintance.

 

 

 

TriEssential - Price: Free

This app is one of my daily go to's. It is really nothing that special, but still good to have in your tri folder on your phone. Basically each day you can open it up to see an imagewith some words of inspiration, and then look to see a quote and a triathlon tip. Most of it isn't game changing, but then there are some added bonuses as well. These include a Time Projector, Race Checklist (that you can edit), and a PR Keeper. Not a bad little tool.

My Fitness Pal - Price: Free

If you are tryingto lose weight, or even like to watch your calories this is "the app". You let the app do the calculating for you of how many calories you should be eating for your goal, or you take control and put in exactly what you want. Once that is done you start logging your days as you go, and that is so easy with this app, because they have everything. Pretty much anything you would like to search for in their database, from fastfood to restaurants, groceries and even workouts. Youcan also log in your weights whenever you want, and then connect socially with people to say "good job" or encourage them to keep going.

 

The Weather Channel - Price: Free

The name pretty much explains it all. Nice app (very nice looking on the iPad), and works way better than the standard weather app on iOS devices. It is great to use to see if it is an outside day, or if I am headed to the gym.

 

 

 

 

 

Those are the main apps I use at this point in my training/journey. What apps do you use?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment